Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 12 week old kitten seems to be showing signs of an upper

Customer Question

My 12 week old kitten seems to be showing signs of an upper respitory infection, sneezing and one eye is irritated and discharging, is there anything I can do while trying to get an appointment with the vet
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are the discharges clear or snotty/yellow/green?
Are you using the saline in his eyes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clear and I have been using saline to clean the eye
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now I agree that the Kennedy's signs are suggestive of an upper respiratory tract infection. That said, if the discharges are clear, this does suggest that it is viral as opposed to bacterial. And in that case, supportive care is often the mainstay of treatment. Of course, if those discharges became snotty, then we'd have to be concerned about bacteria as well and antibiotics from her vet would be indicated.
In regards ***** ***** we can do to help her signs, to start, if she is sneezing and congested you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don’t like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make little ‘steam tents’ with her in a cat carrier, the nebulizer next to it, and both covered with a thin bed sheet.
If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Just as we can use saline to clean the eyes, we can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist but not anything medicated) to gently flush the nose. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.
Making sure she is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can’t smell their food often won’t eat as well as they should. Therefore, if you see any loss of normal of appetite, do make sure to tempt her to eat. Try smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help her be able to smell it.
Finally, if you suspect that she might have feline herpes virus as the cause (if she was a stray, from a rescue, or a breeding cattery), then this can be a cause of the signs you are seeing. In herpes cats, we sometimes find the L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at pet stores, vets, online and even health food stores. They come as gels, powders, or tablets to crush into food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.
So, it does sound like she has an upper respiratory based infection is causing her signs. Therefore, you can try the above to help give her some relief. While doing so, keep a close eye on her. If it doesn't settle, develops snotty discharge, or worsens at all, then we'd want her checked by her vet so they can start her on cat safe decongestants (since human ones are toxic for kitties) and antibiotics to clear this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, she is eating I bought canned kitten food to assure that. I will use the steam and Ocean Mist to see if that helps, and she will be going to the vet on Monday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,
That sounds like a perfect plan of attack to help Kennedy overcome this bit of flu.
All the best & keep up the good work,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)