Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have 2 kittens. One maybe 6 weeks old and the other 3 months

Customer Question

I have 2 kittens. One maybe 6 weeks old and the other 3 months old. The little one's eye has been swolen but always got better its been going on for a week and now this morning my older cats eye is all swolen and goopy. It wasn't to bad but I just got home and its even worse and his side of his face is swolen pretty far out and is a tint of red. The goop comming out of his eye is a yellow/green. Both my cats eyes were fine last night. The little kittens eye is a little swolen again too but not as swolen as the others. No vets around me are open. I don't know if you can receive a picture but I took one in case. I hope you can help me I'm so worried.thank you for your time
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'd very much like to see a photo. You can upload it by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok great yes I'll figure out how to send a few pictures of it. Thank you! I'll just be a minute
No worries. I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I show you a picture on imgur
You have to upload a photo from your computer to imgur and then copy it and paste the link into our conversation. You use the BB code. If you have a problem***@******.*** can help you. That can take up to 24 hours, however.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I do this from my cell? Let me know if this works. I have a 4 or 5 pics all together. http://imgur.com/PHvZLBC
One pic showed up! It shows what's likely to be quite a nasty conjunctivitis which would be apparent when the kitten's eyelids are parted. The feline herpesvirus is usually incriminated. See if you can send over the other pics.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://imgur.com/6ZDVF9Vhttp://imgur.com/3O9CfjIhttp://imgur.com/wJPXDuxhttp://imgur.com/a/d1h8s
Well done! Yes, the kittens suffer from an infectious conjunctivitis. Until you can have them examined, over the counter Terramycin ophthalmic ointment available in many pet/feed stores can be instilled in each eye at a dose of 1/4" of ribbon thrice daily. I see swelling to the left side of one of the kitten's face. It's difficult for me to get a good look but if that area is truly swollen, I'd be worried about a subcutaneous abscess usually caused by a bite wound. It would need to be lanced and flushed and a systemic antibiotic administered by a vet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes his eye is really swollen. I couldn't get a good picture but it got huge within a hour. Well worse than it was and that's why I got worried. Is this something if I can't find a vet open tomorrow should I take them both to a emergency vet office tomorrow. Or is this something that might be ok till Monday?..
The swelling I saw was to the left side of the left eye. Perhaps the photo just made it appear swollen. It's not the swollen eyelids that I see. Please clarify.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok. No I just checked his eyes again and the left eye is fine. No swelling or ooze coming out of it. I had off work all day so spent 90% of my day at the house and he wasn't really acting like his normal self. Usually he's running around playing but he slept most the day and just kinda was lingering around the house every now and again. I just now saw him playing a little having a little energy.
Thank you. See if you can find the Terramycin ophthalmic ointment and get started medicating everybody's eyes thrice daily as I mentioned above.
I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will they be ok if I can't get them to the vet till Monday tho? And of course I sure will. I'll be giving you a great rating. I really wasn't expecting this great service you gave because this is my first time on this site. So thank you so much I sincerely ***** ***** time
Yes, but I'd feel better if you could medicate them as I described. It's my pleasure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok yes I'm definitely stopping somewhere tomorrow to get that medication for them especially if there are no vets open tomorrow. Thanks again and I'll definitely message you back after I take them to the doctor.
Sounds good! I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?