Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cats swollen by his tail base and it happend over night he is very moppy he is eating a

Customer Question
nd drinking fine but has...
My cats swollen by his tail base and it happend over night he is very moppy he is eating a nd drinking fine but has not pooped today he is 16 yrs old has never had any medical issues and being the swelling happend over night what could it be
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/10/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does the area seem sore?
Any wounds, scabs, or skin changes here?
Is he hanging his tail or struggling to raise it due to soreness?
Has he tried to pass stool today?
Do you think he could have been stung by a bee/wasp/spider?
Did he have any outdoor access overnight or beforehand?
Since there are a number of issues that could cause this, can you take a photo of what you are seeing with them? That way I can see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
He is a indoor cat never goes outside it is sore if you touch it he is up walking around this am ware last night he would barely move the area is Def not as swollen as it was he seems more himself today but still has not gone poop
Thank you,
Now the reason he likely hasn't passed stool yet is because of that discomfort. As you can imagine trying to squat when you have discomfort in your back end is not ideal. Therefore, I suspect he will try to hold out as long as possible. Still, to make it easier on him, you can consider treating him with a cat hair ball treatment. These are poorly absorbed from the gut and therefore can lubricate the GI and ease fecal passage. So, that could just make going less of a chore for him. Otherwise, if you saw him straining but not being able to go, then we can use things like cow's milk or stronger GI lubricants (ie Lactulose, Miralax, or food grade mineral oil) mixed into his food to help keep things moving.
That aside, we need to consider what could cause this swelling. If he is indoor only, then cat bite abscesses (one of the most common reasons) would be less likely. Therefore, we would be more suspicious of a possible allergic reaction from an insect sting or a possible soft tissue trauma (if he fell when we were not watching him). In regards ***** ***** these, if you suspect a sting, you can treat him with a low dose of Benadryl/Diphenhydramine. We tend to give 0.25mg per pound of his body weight twice daily and that can just be enough to reduce that allergy induced swelling. We like to keep the dose low in cats, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lad has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet.
Otherwise, you can gently compress the area to reduce soft tissue swelling or bruising here. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use). Of course, we need to be gentle if he is tender there. And if he was very sore, then we may need to think about having his local vet dispense a cat safe anti-inflamamtory (since human ones are toxic for kitties) like Metacam.
Overall, these would be our main considerations for Clause's signs. And as it does sound to be settling, we'd be less worried about more sinister issues. Therefore, we can use the above to help soothe the area and help him to pass feces as this continues to reduce for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian