Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat Casper died in the middle of last night. He

Customer Question
Hello, My cat Casper died in...
My cat Casper died in the middle of last night. He was a 23 year old white persian who i adopted when he was 18 after his owner died. He came to me with liver failure, but has never shown symptoms of it and has lived a healthy active life. He acted like a cat more than half his age. Recently though, he definitely slowed down a little.
He has been staying with my mum for the past few days - which is a normal occurrence when I travel. Last night he was fine, but in the middle of the night she said that she heard a noise. When she got up, Casper was laying on her floor barely alive, she picked him up and lay him on the bed and he died there. Her cat seemed to be distressed and she wasn't sure if her cat pulled him into the room, or if Casper managed to pull himself because there was a small trail of blood leading to a huge amount of dark thick blood on the floor in the hallway. The blood had come from his mouth. I had noticed this past week or so that his nose wasn't as pink as usual, and he has been losing weight. Can you give me any idea what may have caused his death? Not that it makes a difference now. I'm devastated and cannot forgive myself for not taking him to the vet to check him, or for not being with him. He was my baby.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/10/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. First of all, you cannot blame yourself for not reacting sooner. Cats are experts at hiding their disease and even veterinary owners of cats will not see the early signs of disease. This has happened to me on numerous occasions even with my own cats. I doubt if your mom's cat pulled Casper into the room. That would be a difficult task. If there was a large pool of blood, the most likely explanation is a coagulation disorder and these are most often secondary to various causes, but in an older cat, cancer has to be very high on the list. When there is a cancerous process going on, it can affect many of the cells so that the body looks at them as an intruder and can lead to destruction of the red or while blood cells. It is my guess that is what happened. Even with a possible diagnosis, it doesn't make the loss easier to deal with. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your friend Casper. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian