Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 11year old male cat started hiding under the bed about 5weeks…

Customer Question
My 11year old male cat...
My 11year old male cat started hiding under the bed about 5weeks ago. He was normally an out going friendly cat before this. I took him to the vet after 3 weeks he gave him blood work and X-rays and said everything was normal . He went back under the bed and does not come out only to use the litter box . He eats all the food I put under the bed. My vet says he does not know what is wrong with him and says we should see a specialist.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/10/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While we do need to consider a behavioral etiology when such a cat hides in this manner, I'd like to check his blood work for you to see if something were missed or a test that should have been performed wasn't. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Underdiagnosed hyperthyroidism is the most common disorder I find in cats such as he.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian