Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat swallowed thread. Initially he was running around and

Customer Question

My cat swallowed thread. Initially he was running around and we saw a very long piece of thread from his anus. We looked things up and put some petroleum jelly on his paws. He has been very lethargic, hiding and won't eat. He did urinate in liter box and vomited. I am nervous but vet said to wait it out a bit because eating thread is common but I am wondering what else I can do to make cat comfortable?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear your cat ate thread. How long a piece, do you know? How long ago?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If the thread was longer than 6 or 8 inches, this could be serious. Long pieces of thread can cause a "linear foreign body" that ties up the intestines in a bunch. Eventually the thread can start to saw through the intestines and this can lead to peritonitis, a very serious condition.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If this were my own cat, I would open his mouth and use a pencil to get a look under his tongue. If the thread is under the tongue, he needs immediate medical attention. Do not try to look if you will be bitten, though. It is not that easy to look under a cat's tongue.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Here is a good article on this condition: ,http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3541
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?