Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 2 yr old cat has just started hissing and growling at my husband. H

Customer Question

My 2 yr old cat has just started hissing and growling at my husband. He even got attacked by him. Our cat has never had a problem with him until now. The cat will play games with my husband then realises that its him who is playing, hisses at him and runs off. The cat will walk upto my husband and smooch his legs or hands then he pats him and he hisses and growls or even just says his name and he hisses at him. What do i do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears that something about your husband has frightened your sweet Flash. You may never know what this is but it can be resolved using some techniques or even medication. Have your vet examine Flash to be sure that there is not a medical condition that is causing this change in behavior. If that is ruled out, purchase Feliway at the pet store. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will make him more mellow. In the meantime, your husband must give him treats and talk to him in a soft voice to make him realize that he is not a threat. If this is not enough, your vet has a medication such as Clomicalm, to help Flash past this.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta