Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is around 16 and has always been healthy. Until the central air went out in

Customer Question
Hi, My cat is around 16...
My cat is around 16 and has always been healthy. Until the central air went out in May, then both cats (the other is a 18/19 year old started sneezing a little. We went to the vet and were put on liquid antibotics. The 18 year old refused to take them after 2 days. The sneezes seem to have gone away; however; starting aound the 10th of June, the 16 year old, JB, started making sounds when breathing through the nose. The vet took x-ray and didn't see anytihng. She had a shot of antibotics, but still has a trouble breathing through nose. she said the lungs sound okay. Blodd work looks okay. She still drinks water, but is gaging at food. She is also starting to loose weight. We have been to the vet a few times. What should be the next step?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and JB today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
.......
These can be difficult cases, partly because it is hard to visualize that area of the head/neck well due to the bony skull. Lack of seeing anything on xray does not rule out that something is there. Often times, more advanced imaging, like a CT or MRI are needed to visualize the sinuses, nasal cavity and pharynx (back of throat).
.....
Her weight loss is concerning, but if she is having problems eating, that may be related. Her symptoms sound suspicious of a naso-pharyngeal polyp, but we cannot rule out a a cancerous mass.
......
My suggestion would be to follow up with a specialist equipped to get better imaging of her head and neck.
.....
Here is a link with more information about polyps in cats and how they are diagnosed and treated. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
polyps
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian