Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 13 year old Egyuptian Mau male cat. We moved to Florida

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old Egyuptian Mau male cat. We moved to Florida 3 years ago and ever since then he has had messy, smelly, diarrhea and uses the box but then acts like he is finished and gets out of the box and proceeds to use the floor, carpet. He has been diagnosed with IBS and I have tried to change his food, given him B12 shots, and it is just getting worse. He is an inside cat and has always been. Please help me - do you think I need to have him scoped. He had ultra sound and they found nothing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
When basic blood and urine tests - including a specFPL blood test which is best for identifying the presence of chronic pancreatitis - as well as abdominal ultrasound reveals nothing untoward, yes, scoping and biopsy of his GI tract is the next diagnostic step. Ultrasound should detect the characteristic inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and infiltrative malignancies such as small cell lymphoma or mastocytosis and so if such inflammation weren't seen, a non (or minimally)-inflammatory disorder needing biopsy to detect should be considered. A food intolerance is a good example of such a disorder and so I'll post my synopsis of food intolerance for you. You've changed his food but perhaps not appropriately... Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that his immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.