Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 13 week old kitten just bit my pencil cactus. There was…

Customer Question
My 13 week old kitten...
My 13 week old kitten just bit my pencil cactus. There was nothing consumed or pieces broken off that I can see...though there is one small puncture on the plant where sap is oozing. How dangerous is this, is there anything I should do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/2/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now the good news is that the Pencil Cactus is fairly mild in its toxicity. The main issues it can cause is irritation to the mouth and stomach. We do occasionally see vomiting, but that is uncommon and not likely with just a puncture of the plant. Therefore, all you need to do here is rinse your kitten's mouth out with cool water to remove any bitter sap and consider feeding your wee one or even offering a bit of milk to just dilute any of the sap that may be lingering in the mouth or stomach. But otherwise, we'd expect no harm here.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.