Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

No I have not had him re-tested since starting the medication.

Customer Question
he seems to be eating...
No I have not had him re-tested since starting the medication. he seems to be eating normally
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/1/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thanks for the information. If his appetite is no longer increased, the medication is most likely working. Usually after 4 weeks, we would retest the thyroid values to see if they are back in normal range. That is a true indicator if the treatment is working. Plus, it is important to recheck kidney enzymes to make sure he doesn't develop any problems there after starting treatment. With hyperthyroidism, the increase blood pressure can mask chronic kidney disease. Correcting it, may just cause the kidney function to decrease. If the levels aren't quit back to normal, then they may need to readjust the dosage some. Other treatment options are using compounded methimazole that you can apply to the skin to be absorb (absorption may not be as good as with the pills), radioactive iodine treatment to destroy the overactive thyroid tissue (requires special facility) or feeding an exclusive diet of Hill's Prescription Diet Y/D. It is iodine deficient and can be used as the sole treatment for hyperthyroidism in cats. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian