Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My darling Katie cat has been diagnosed by a vet that she had

Customer Question

my darling Katie cat has been diagnosed by a vet that she had the beginging of kidney failure. Today is Canada day and I can't reach my vet. But Katie cat is not able to walk striaight, and cat jump up to her post. She sometimes has her head to one side and a view times has had tremer like shaking of her head, she does not eat, and if she does the throws up. she fells to my touch as though she has a fever, but I have not the means to test her temp. She is dark grey and white, but her dark grey has been turning brown. I know the vet will be open tomorrow, but should I take her to a vet hospital today. I know cats purr when they are happy, but also when they are disstresed. Please help me as soon as possible. She is 15 years old, I have had her since, possibley, she was ready to leave her mother. I wanted to save her as I knew the rest of her siblings would be distroyed. She knows my langwage, and is very obiedient. I love her, but do not want to see her in pain, of suffering.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. I think that it would be a very good idea to have her evaluated by your nearest emergency vet today. Cats hid their illnesses very well, so when they are like this, it tends to be more advanced than you would think. She may have an acute decompensation of her kidney function, but it does sound like she may have a problem with her vestibular system (controls balance). There can be many causes of that, from infectious, to toxin, to cancer, to trauma and to other internal organ problems. It sounds like she needs to be on fluid therapy and possibly recheck of bloodwork. They may recommend some imaging, such as an x-ray or CT scan as well, but supportive care to control hydration and nausea is key right now. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.