Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had small wound in the ear and scratched it. Now ,in…

Customer Question
My cat had small wound...
My cat had small wound in the ear and scratched it.
Now ,in few days, she has a few small wounds on the face and lost some hear on the face.
For one month she has a new food " chicken meal and whole grain, brown rise and oats
"from "Trader joe,s"
May it be the rison of the illness and what is the medicine?
Thank you in advance
Tatyana.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/1/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Daisy today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
......
It is possible that the food change is involved in Daisy's manifestation of itch, but it is not accurate to say that it couldn't be related to other factors or even other types of allergies. Allergies to fleas or environmental triggers as well as other parasites like mites can lead to the same symptoms and must be ruled out first as the treatment differs. It is not smart to just switch to a different diet to assess food allergies and if it is decided that needs to be ruled out, a strict protocol of a food trial is the only accurate way to do that.
........
I would definitely have Daisy examined by your veterinarian soon, so that they can recommend the best course of action. If they feel it warrants ruling out a food allergy, they can outline the proper way to do the food trial. Steroids are often prescribed to break the itch cycle while we are beginning a food trial, but the other causes of itch need to be ruled out first.
......
Here is a link with a greater explanation of food allergies in dogs and cats. In the meantime, there would be no harm in switching Daisy back to the food she was eating before the switch.
.......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
LINK HERE