Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat just started like she wants to throw up but she opens…

Customer Question
Our cat just started like...
Our cat just started like she wants to throw up but she opens her mouth and clear water,droplets come out she also,has developed a big appetite and she seems to want to hang around us and be petted, she plays a lot, potty regular and passes urine, she had been taken oral liquid antibiotic for urine infection she is off the antibiotics and this has started now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/1/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me; I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for Mina. While it doesn't take much to trigger nausea in a cat, it's a little unusual that she goes through the motions of vomiting and yet isn't producing much material other than small amounts of water.
Since she's otherwise acting her normal self, you could give her over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet twice a day. This drug often can help to settle the stomach regardless of why she might be nauseous (if this is what's going on).
I've seen cats who've ingested noxious or unpalatable substances also behave this way so I might rinse out her mouth with cool water if she'll let you.
In most cases, symptomatic treatment is enough to resolve the problem but if she continues to behave this way and/or other symptoms develop, then a vet visit may be prudent.
I hope this helps. Deb
Hello again,
I'm just following up on Mina. How is she doing? Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian