Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is very old and has kidney problems The vet has said…

Customer Question
My cat is very old...
My cat is very old and has kidney problems The vet has said that there is not much hope here for puss. I have used colloidal silver on my animals for bacterial infections for a few years and have seen marvellous results. Would I be able to administer the colloidal to my cat. I have always applied the colloidal silver through application to the body this would be the first time for a puss to orally drink it. Can you advise Thankyou
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/1/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Puss and her kidney issues. I am happy to help you this evening. Without knowing exactly is going on with her kidneys I can only tell you that I would NOT use colloidal silver orally in a cat with known kidney issues. It has proven antibacterial properties topically and orally but old cats kidney disease is due to loss of function and usually not due to infections. The other problem is that colloidal silver can be toxic when to much is used and some people believe that it will worsen kidney disease in dogs and cats with pre-existing kidney disease. I do not believe it would benefit him in this case and the risk for furthering his kidney issues would be to high. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian