Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I just recently acquired a cat a week ago. It's a older cat

Customer Question

I just recently acquired a cat a week ago. It's a older cat that has a snub tail. It does nothing but eat and sleep. Recently i've noticed him sneezing and green snought comes out and i can hear him what sounds like coughing
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Felix and his issues. I am happy to help you this evening. The sneezing and green snot that is coming out is a sign of an upper respiratory infection. This also causes the coughing that you are hearing. This can cause him to be lethargic and not feel well. That is good he is eating still though. But the infection that you are describing should be addressed so he can start to feel better soon. The best thing to do is schedule an appointment with your vet to have him looked at and receive some antibiotics. Antibiotics will be necessary to clear up this infection since he is having green snot. This is a sign of a bacterial infection and will need antibiotics to clear. Once on antibiotics the sneezing, coughing and discharge should resolve quickly. Also he should start feeling better quickly after starting. Right now there is nothing over the counter that would be recommended or safe to help him. So just keep offering food and water and get him into the vet as soon as possible. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!