Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 12 years old and I've noticed she almost waddles…

Customer Question
My cat is 12 years...
My cat is 12 years old and I've noticed she almost waddles when she walks. She still plays / runs / jump with no issue. Just wondering how concerned I need to be.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Hello, Has she always walked like this or is something new?
I haven't noticed it before. Maybe in last year or so.
I can pet / brush her on the back and backside and she doesn't seem to mind
Understood. At this age, and with that type of walk I have to think about a few things. 1. Arthritis. Absolutely, a consideration. So, the plan would be to talk with your vet about doing a short non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication trial to see if you observe improvement in walking. A common tablet for cats would be Onsior. The liquid would be a prescription of metacam. 2. A systemic (internal) problem. Specifically, diabetes. Diabetes can be easily overlooked, and over time, can cause a weakness in the back legs. So, i would suggest a basic vet visit, some routine testing, and maybe a little trial with either a NSAID or pain medicine to see if helpful. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director