Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is two years old. Noticeable weight loss- from 12 pounds…

Customer Question
My cat is two years...
My cat is two years old. Noticeable weight loss- from 12 pounds to 9. Otherwise no obvious symptoms. Vet said it looks like dry form of FIP. X-Rays looked clear but labs showed elevated globulins. They want us to see a specialist but what kind? And how fast? They don't seem to be moving quickly. Clyde the kitty, is eating and acting normal. Not sure what to do next.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Any form of FIP would be unlikely in a cat eating and acting normally. To answer you directly, a specialist veterinary internist as can be found here: www.acvim.org is recommended. However, can you upload a copy of Clyde's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Attached are Clydes records from Friday.Thank you for your help
Thank you! The only abnormal finding was an elevated globulin. While that's consistent with FIP it only indicates persistent antigenic stimulation and inflammation secondary to infectious diseases, neoplasia, or immune-mediated diseases. It would be prudent to have a coronavirus titer performed. Coronavirus virus transmutes (changes into) the FIP virus and so a greatly elevated coronavirus titer - while not definitive for FIP - is one more piece of evidence that FIP is present. In addition, protein electrophoresis can be performed. A severe polyclonal gammopathy is expected with FIP. I understand that this is quite technical but two tests I'd like you to discuss with Clyde's vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Are those tests that a general vet can do or do I need to schedule a consultation with a specialist?
Yes, the blood is sent to our reference lab and results are returned within 36 hours.
We are going to call the vet this morning and see if they can perform these tests. Dos blood need to be redrawn? Or can they run off of what they have ?? I only ask bc I'm a nurse and we do that frequently. But it has been a few days. Clyde is acting normal and eating like a pig. I'm very confused.
If the blood is still available additional blood won't be necessary. Yes, as I mentioned, "any form of FIP would be unlikely in a cat eating and acting normally".
We got the results back today from Clydes blood work. It did show positive corona titer and elevated polyclonal gammopathy or something like that. He is seeing a specialist tomorrow to see if he has fluid in his abdomen but he is still eating and acting somewhat normal.
Ugh. Those are two more strikes against Clyde but not confirmatory. The abdominal ultrasound should be helpful.
Thank you taking the time to let me know. If it's not too much of an inconvenience, please let me know the results of his ultrasound. No need to reply at this time.
Is there any form of treatment we can try for him?
Unfortunately, there's nothing available at this time that addresses FIP satisfactorily. Many vets will prescribe prednisolone which will palliatively address the symptoms of FIP be reducing the inflammation of the blood vessels (vasculitis) caused by that virus. In fact, feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) would be better named feline infectious vasculitis because the peritoneum (the lining of the abdomen) isn't necessarily affected by the virus.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian