Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed my cat had a slightly lowered round area on her…

Customer Question
Hi I noticed my cat...
Hi I noticed my cat had a slightly lowered round area on her stomach that was devoid of fur and was red about a week ago. About 2 days later the middle of that area turned into pus and she start licking and biting at it occasionally. Now the pus seems to have ate about a centimeter or 2 into her stomach in the red area and it smells absolutely repulsive. My question is if it is fatal and if not how can I help her because I really don't want to lose my cat
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/28/2015
Cat Veterinarian: helperDVM, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
helperDVM
helperDVM, Cat Veterinarian
Hi there. Thankfully skin issues are rarely fatal. In this case I'd be concerned about a condition called eosinophilic plaque. This causes a bright red rash on kitties that will cause them to continue to lick at the rash and then infect it from the bacteria that live in there mouths. You only have very few things that you can try at home to see if you can make it better but I'll say that the healing process will go much faster with a steroid and antibiotic from the vet. That being said you can start kitty on 12.5mg benadryl (one half of an adult benadryl) twice daily. This will help with the itching. You can also apply triple antibiotic cream and the 1% hydrocortisone cream to the area. The triple antibiotic has a little antibiotic in it so it will take longer to treat that with scripted antibiotics from a vet. The hydrocortisone cream will help with the redness and itching. A great deterrent to keep your pet from licking at the area even more is an e-collar (also called a cone). This will prevent her from adding more bacteria to the area while you are trying to fight the infection. Do not use harsh liquids on it such as peroxide as it can kill young cells that are trying to grow in - you can clean it will a warm moist wet towel - if you have access to dilute chlorohexidine that is another excellent option but only clean it gently once a day. I will also tell you that sometimes if it is not allergy related there could be something painful/annoying happening under the skin. The best policy is to go to a veterinary clinic - I'd try treating at home but if it does not seem to be improving at all, or worsening after about a week take her in.