Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I'm moving to Florida from New York, and will be making a 1200…

Customer Question
I'm moving to Florida from...
I'm moving to Florida from New York, and will be making a*****with my Adult male 6 year old cat. He meows constantly and is anxious when he travels by car in a carrier. What is an effective remedy that I can try?
Thank You,
Joe G.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Hello Joe, this is Dr. Gabby. You could try benadryl, which is over the counter and mildly sedating, but chances are it will not be strong enough to achieve the desired effect. The dose for benadryl is 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of cat, every 8-12 hours as needed. For example a 10 pound cat would take 10 mg of benadryl. There is really nothing effective over the counter.In traveling with cats I use Acepromazine or Diazepam. Both are safe and effective. You will have to get those from a vet though. Make sure you try a dose before moving day. Just in the rare case he has an adverse reaction, or becomes too sedate, and you need to take him too a vet. Since you are still home you know where all the vets are located.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?