Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cats eyes pupils are sometimes different sizes and it bothers

Customer Question

My cats eyes pupils are sometimes different sizes and it bothers him. He is only 11 mos old
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
This is called anisocoria and it has quite a few possible etiologies. The two most common causes are the leukemia (FeLV) virus and the spastic pupil syndrome - a condition unique to cats in which owners report anisocoria, which may sometimes be transient and independent of ambient light levels. Clinically, cats with this syndrome appear to be healthy, are visual, and have no ocular abnormalities beside unusual behavior of the pupils. Unfortunately, most affected cats test positive for FeLV at the initial presentation but not all which confounds the diagnosis.Anisocoria also results from primary iridal (iris) disease - any inflammatory process causing miosis (an abnormally small pupil); and primary neurologic disorders involving cranial nerve III and Horner's syndrome.The initial database should involve testing for FeLV and a complete ophthalmic examination including menace response, dazzle, palpebral, pupillary light, and vestibulo-ocular reflexes. Fluoroscein staining of the cornea should be performed looking for corneal trauma and intraocular pressure should be measured (the elevated pressure of glaucoma will enlarge the pupil (mydriasis) and the lowered pressures of uveitis will make the pupil miotic).Much of the above is beyond the capability of many generalist vets so Benjamin's vet may recommend referral to a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist. Please see here: www.acvo.orgPlease respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this fatal or a fixable condition? We are very attached to this lil guy. I am concerned as he had the lukemeia test prior to his shot but am now seeing posts that many of these test present a false results. I am trying to locate a vet that will take care credit.
The spastic pupil syndrome unrelated to FeLV is expected to be transient and not life-threatening. If he were tested negative for FeLV after 6 weeks of age, that result is likely to be accurate. It would be smart, however, to repeat the test in light of his anisocoria. Iris diseases (anterior uveitis, e.g.) are relatively common in cats. They're most often idiopathic (unknown cause) and respond to both topical and systemic corticosteroids such as prednisolone. They're not life-threatening in most cases.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for checking up.....
We have an appt at Blue Pearl opthamologist on tues. Found out from vet no feline luckemia test or vacination was done. Shall i update you after appt?
Please do. I'd appreciate it!