Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Dr. I have an 18 month grey Tabbie. All of a sudden,

Customer Question

Hello Dr.
I have an 18 month grey Tabbie. All of a sudden, she disappeared for a day, and when she appeared, she began to act differently. She was moving very slow and acted confused. It's been three days now, and now, she cannot walk? can you please help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It sounds like she may have one of a few things. She could have some type of trauma. She could have been hit by a car or fell from a tree. in that case, we may have an injury or pelvic fractures. We see many cats with pelvic fractures that have a hard time walking in the rear legs.
It may also be an infection that she picked up. We can see a fever lead to weakness and difficulty walking. If that's the case, we may need some anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics to help get this resolved.
Lastly, it could be a toxin that she got into. That could lead to metabolic disease (kidney or liver injury) or electrolyte abnormalities.
I would get her seen and get some bloodwork run. I would also probably get x-rays of the spine and pelvis. From there, she can be treated and get her back to normal. I do think there is a good chance of a full recovery here.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.