Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My roommates cats are vomiting up their food daily. Sometimes

Customer Question

My roommates cats are vomiting up their food daily. Sometimes there is hair in it but most of the time it is just food. They are already on a low ingredients diet, what can we do to stop them from vomiting?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Well, this is a tough question, because I can't assume that all the cats are vomiting for the same reasons. But, I will prepare some information for you
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Vomiting causes can include:- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)- Stomach or intestinal foreign body- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s - Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. - Now, even if on a limited ingredient diet, certainly there could still be something wrong with the food itself. For example, salmonella contamination. So, I would immediately stop feeding that bag of food and have it replaced. Second, to help settle the stomach, you can give Pepcid A.C. antacid.Although not easy to give cats pills, you can give a ¼ tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid up to every 12 hours. Third, a vet exam is really a must. Some basic blood testing really would be helpful for an overall health assessment. Fourth, if eating kibble, some cats with inflammatory bowel disease problems will do better on an all canned diet. Also, a vet can prescribe some good anti-vomiting medicine. This is strongly recommended. Why?Well, once a pet has been vomiting a lot, it causes a gastritis and esophagitis, which really needs to be calmed. Otherwise, the problem just keeps exacerbating itself whenever they eat. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As you do that I can give you some more history. There are two cats it appears to be the male that is vomiting. He lives indoors and the second cat is his sister whom he has lived with forever. The vomiting has increased with the warm weather but I find it hard to believe everyday vomiting can be from hairballs from extra shedding.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Yep. I agree. That is why some initial testing is really important to help rule-out many systemic (internal) issues. Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't have access to string, he has been on the same diet for the last two years and he gets some kind of oral lubricant for hairballs about twice a week
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh and he eats dry food. Hope that gives some more information
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Understood. Even if same diet, if it is a new bag of it and vomitng has worsened, then bag could be contaminated. Also, may need to increase frequency of how often hairball medication is given. Might help as well. But, well worth discussing with your vet about weaning to an all canned food as a trial as well.