Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I can't help but feel helpless trying to help my cat. We've

Customer Question
taken him to specialist for...
I can't help but feel helpless trying to help my cat. We've taken him to specialist for fip but they can't say for sure that he has it or not. We have him on antibiotics hoping that it may take effect in some way. He does look a lot better these last couple of days keeping up with himself. He hasn't lost his appetite and has no sign of diarrhea or vommit. I keep disinfecting everything and cleaning hoping that one morning he'll wake up to the cat he was 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to stay positive but it's very hard and I was wondering if there was anything else that I can do? Or if there is anything else that it could be? His blood work came back with all of his internals being in perfect condition. I find myself driving myself crazy looking at the symptoms but then 100 other things come up when I type in his symptoms. Such as lethargic, a little dehydration (better now), and his TP was a little high, he had a fever but it seems as it has broken. Is the only thing to do now is wait?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/25/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What were his original presenting signs?

What signs does he still have now?

Is he only on antibiotics?

Did the bloods check an FIP (corona virus) titre?
Did it test any other proteins (ie alpha glycoproteins)?
Do you have a copy of the bloods that you can post here for me to review?

He just all of a sudden had a mood change and didn't feel like doing anything. At that point took him to the vet nothing external, gave some anti inflammatories.

Now he is a bit more alert still has a little lethargic acting but he seems to be coming around on wanting to get up and around the house but can still tell he doesn't feel well.

Right now he is on an eye ointment for his eyes, and the anti biotic. He did get fluids for the dehydration to where now we monitor him to make sure he gets plenty of water.

All of his proteins were a little high from what I could understand from the vet over the phone. I'll see if I can get a copy of his blood work unfortunately I didn't have a chance to grab a copy when picking up his antibiotic.

Thank you Zach,

As I am sure you are aware FIP is one of our more challenging viruses, both from the diagnostic and treatment angles. And I would note that lethargy is such a non-specific sign for us. It just tells us that he feels unwell but give no clue to why that is. Now if you could get a copy of his bloods, that would be ideal. The reason is because the AGP protein I mentioned isn't a standard blood test but is one that is often used in "FIP profiles" alongside the coronavirus titre. So, it would be ideal to see, so I can get a better idea of whether we do have a likely FIP case here. (Especially since elevated albumin would likely just be related to dehydration, globulins elevate with any immune process or infection, and together those would be the TP --so they would just say there is an infection if elevated but not give us a clue to whether it was our suspect virus).

So, that would be ideal so we can review those together and try to get to the bottom of your lad's signs.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Thank you for the information and I'll see if I can get a copy of that blood work.

Thank you,

Zach

That would be perfect,

That way we can see if there are any clues to guide us or if it is a waiting game (since we'd only want to start anti-virals or steroids if we were sure it was FIP).

Speak to you later,
Dr. B.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian