Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I need to give 1/4 tablet of Pepcid ac to my elderly cat. Should…

Customer Question
I need to give 1/4...
I need to give 1/4 tablet of Pepcid ac to my elderly cat. Should it be the chewable kind?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/25/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Yes, you can give 1/4 of a tablet prior to each meal. It does not need to be chewable. It can be the tablet form. The active ingredient needs to be famotidine. You can hide it in a treat or canned food to get her to swallow it.
It is also possible to put the pill at the back of her throat and give a small amount of water in a syringe to have her swallow. This tends to be a two person job though.