Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My car has clear fluid coming from her mouth. .do you know…

Customer Question
My car has clear fluid...
My car has clear fluid coming from her mouth. .do you know what this could be
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
She is a few years old. She is more of an outside cat but comes in when she wants. She is friendly but does not like to be held much.
6/24/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.I suspect that Princess is drooling, and the clear fluid that you are seeing is saliva.Drooling can be related to eating something bitter (a bug or plant) or bad tasting, having something caught between her teeth, nausea, or mouth pain from gum disease or bad teeth, or mouth ulcers from a toxin, viral infection or biting an electrical cord. If she were an older cat tooth and gum disease, a mass in her mouth, or organ failure with secondary nausea would be other possibilities, but these are less likely at her age. I would look closely into her mouth if you can to see if you can see redness, ulcers or anything caught. If she has been sneezing and you see any redness or ulcers some upper respiratory infections, like Calici Virus, can also cause ulcers and these are painful, so they do cause drooling, and that is definitely a possibility in a cat that is excessively drooling and lethargic. Look for ulcers inside of her mouth, such as on her tongue and hard palate (roof of her mouth). If she has them the ulcers could be caused by Calici virus, which is an upper respiratory virus that can cause ulcers and joint pain as well.Some cats get sicker than others and young, healthy adult cats seem to tolerate a respiratory infection and fight them off better than very young kittens or older cats. An upper respiratory infection in cats is just like a cold in you and I, and these are commonly caused by a virus. These are easily caught by breathing in virus particles in the air from a sneeze or nasal or eye discharge. You can help her feel better by adding warm water to her food to make it smell more (they don't eat if they cannot smell) as well as making it easier to chew and swallow.Also the more fluids she gets the better. Offer tuna juice, low salt chicken broth, run the tap if she likes to drink out of the sink. With the amount of drooling she is doing dehydration is a real concern.Take her into the bathroom with you if you run a hot bath or shower as the steam will soothe her sore throat and airways.If her nose become very congested you can use sterile saline to loosen the thick mucous and remove it. She won't like it but it will help her breathe and be able to smell her food better. You can also use sterile saline to remove eye mucous if it accumulates.You can use Chlorhexidene oral rinses (like CET rinse) on the ulcers to keep them from getting infected by bacteria secondarily and keep them from becoming crusty and more uncomfortable. Some lethargy is understandable, let her rest as she needs rest to get better. I recommend keeping her inside until she is back to her normal playful self.If she runs a high fever (more than 104F), has a green or yellow nasal or eye discharge, stops eating even with coaxing and clearing her nose and eyes, or starts coughing or having difficulty breathing then she needs a veterinary exam. Not an emergency as long as she is eating but soon if she isn't eating or has a green or yellow nasal or eye discharge. If her extreme drooling continues then she probably needs fluid therapy and pain medication from her veterinarian. Sometimes these upper airway infections turn into pneumonia so that's what we need to guard against. In most cases antibiotics aren't needed and can contribute to a decrease in appetite so I don't tend to prescribe them unless I feel there is evidence of a secondary bacterial component. These include a green or yellow eye or nasal discharge, evidence of pneumonia upon listening to their lungs or an infection that lingers beyond the normal 7 to 10 days. I highly recommend testing her for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency viruses if her respiratory infection lingers. These immunosuppressive viruses will make a simple infection much worse as they stop the immune system from fighting infections the way it was designed to do. If she isn't much better in 7 to 10 days she needs a veterinary visit. Here is a link if you want to read more about Calici virus: http://www.pet360.com/cat/health/calicivirus-in-cats/42gJj403b0idm8v6BjfOiA Let me know if you have any further questions.
No red does ate present. She had not eaten at all today and barely drank any fluids
I'm sorry to hear that she isn't eating and drinking normally. Lack of an appetite can indicate mouth pain (even without ulcers or redness, she may have a bad tooth, something caught between her teeth, or a sore throat) or nausea, which can be from a number of things, including ingesting toxins, organ failure, or eating something spoiled.Can she move her tongue properly and open and close her mouth normally?If she can open and close her mouth normally you can try treating her for nausea. At home you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel better.I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable.If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow.If she continues to drool and not eat she should see her veterinarian for intravenous fluids and supportive care.