Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat stuck her nose in a flower arrangement with orange lilies

Customer Question

My cat stuck her nose in a flower arrangement with orange lilies and got the Orange pollen on her white coat.
I called her vet because I know they are so toxic and I have been monitoring her for symptoms for the last ten hours and so far so good, thank god seeing is she is like my child.
I rinsed her fur but it still has an orange tint to it and it is in a tough spot, under her chin so I guess her neck and upper chest and she is not too enthused with me getting her all wet.
Is it okay that it is still orange or should I continue to try to clean it?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
If it is an area that she can potentially reach and lick, it would be best to continue to wash the area. Just since lilies are that toxic and worrisome for kitties and we'd hate to put her at any risk at all, At this stage, you can use a damp wash cloth to help you remove any lingering trace of the pollen. Or if you are really struggling, you could consider shaving/clipping the area or having her wear an e-collar or baby tshirt to prevent her from reaching the area until you can get her to your local vet or groomer to fully remove this for her.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Meghan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.