Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 3month old Maine Coon. He has the most wonderful…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 3month...
Hi. I have a 3month old Maine Coon. He has the most wonderful nature. He is extremely affectionate and when I am home always stays close to me. During the day he is left alone with many toys, a cat gym & of course food & water. I have mever thought that cats nevcessarily need other feline company - however, his nature is so loving that I worry he may be lonely during the day. But as per your response to another question he may be put out by another cat. I was wondering if you knew specific to this breed if he would need more company than others.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/24/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 2 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Hi. I would still like to receive an answer. Thanks
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 2 years ago
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Cat Veterinarian: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry that no one has helped you. Your question was just moved over to the cat category so that I could help you.My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I have also been taking classes to become a certified feline behaviorist. Unlike dogs cats live solitary lives in the wild vary rarely traveling in packs and will only have real contact at mating times. Most cats are perfectly comfortable being the only cat and in fact as you have read often getting a second cat leads to problems with the original kitty. Not only may the cats not get along your current cat could get very upset about his territory being invaded and could stop eating, start hiding or stop using the litter box.Maine coons are more people oriented so while he may like more time with you getting another cat may not be the right thing. This breed does tend to be a little more territorial then other breeds. Now that said he is still young enough that you may be able to bring in another kitty with no problems at all.I think if you are leaving him with plenty of toys while you are not home and he is getting plenty of love when you are that he will be just fine alone. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please reply back and I will be happy to continue.If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.Candy
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician