petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Have an 8 year old cat who has been repeatedly vomiting for

Customer Question

Have an 8 year old cat who has been repeatedly vomiting for weeks. Last week was put on Clavamox, which just gave her diarrhea on top of everything else. Now off of that, but on various acid reducers, prednisolone and an antidiarrhea medicine, metrondiazole (sp?). She is barely eating, still vomiting. How long before the Prednisolone would give her any relief? Just started yesterday. Diagnosis is probable IBD and/or lymphoma.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged on to the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. Usually if we are going to see an effect from the Prednisolone, we would expect to see improvement within a few days to a week.Did your vet prescribe any appetite stimulants?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just got those yesterday. Have not yet given her one. She will eat the baby food but throws it up soon after. Sometimes longer but never more than several hours later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am just so worried that she can't survive long in this mode. Hardy anything staying in there to give her nutrition. I wonder if there is anything else I should be doing.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
We see cats with her symptoms quite frequently and just like with her, we often treat under the premise that they either have IBD or intestinal cancer. The treatment for either is very similar and varies quite a bit among cats, based on the severity of the symptoms. Some cats have a great appetite and no vomiting, but are just losing weight, while others won't eat or do eat and vomit frequently.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
I can understand your worry. The mainstay of her treatment is the prednisolone, but the other things you are giving can help to control her symptoms until the steroid kicks in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wonder about adding all the medicine to her gi system when she has so little food in it. Antibiotic, Prednisolone, Sucralfate, Pepcid. is all that typical? She is getting very lethargic, losing weight. Still drinking water, though.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is typical in some cases, Unfortunately, you reach a point where you are giving a lot of meds orally to a vomiting cat, and that only aggravates the situation. I guess I am not really sure why the sulcrafate is being used along with the pepcid, but I don't know her entire history. Until the vomiting is controlled, you may want to talk to you vet about holding off on all of the oral meds except for the prednisolone and adding an anti-vomiting medication like zofran, given by injection.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Once the vomiting has improved and she is able to keep her food down, you could add in the other meds as needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** follow up on that. The Sulcrafate was because she threw up small amounts of bright red blood in clear liquid the weekend before last and the vet thought she might have an ulcer. I appreciate your guidance!
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunatley, some cats with IBD or cancer don't respond to medication. :(Hopefully she is not one of them and she will need just a few days on the steroids to help quite things down.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Please keep me posted on how things progress for her.Is there anything else I can answer for you today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I figured it was possible she can't be made better. Hate to give up hope prematurely, but don't want such a good friend to suffer, either. Thank you, that's all I an think of for today.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Sending good thoughts her way!