Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I am fostering three 8-week-kittens right now (from Anti-Cruelty…

Customer Question
I am fostering three 8-week-kittens...
I am fostering three 8-week-kittens right now (from Anti-Cruelty Society). They are returning to the shelter after 3 weeks from now and I bought a kitten from a home-breeder and the kitten is coming home after 4 weeks from now. When the breeder knew that I am fostering kittens right now, she freaked out and actually did not want to sell her kitten to me because she believe the animals from the shelter are dirty, has possibility of infection and germs. She said the germs would be spread to the entire house and she does not want her kitten to get sick or serious illness at her new home because of the germs from the fostering cats. She said the some kinds of germs from the fostering kittens can actually kill the new kitten. Is this true? If so, what should I do to keep my new kitten safe at her new home?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Hi there,There is some truth to what the breeder said but generally her response was quite exaggerated. Kittens often harbor infectious disease, the most common of which are intestinal parasites (such as roundworms and hookworms), respiratory infections (various bacteria and viruses) and some may be infected with diseases such as feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV or feline AIDS). Most of these conditions require direct contact with the infected cat, meaning that your new kitten would have to contact the shelter kittens (assuming they are infected) to obtain the diseases. One exception is roundworms and hookworms, whose eggs may persist in the home for a long time, however, since these are passed on in the feces, proper litter box care should prevent transmission, i.e just get new box(es) for your new kitten or wash/bleach the old ones and fill them with fresh litter. You don't need to quarantine your house or strip down carpets and wallpaper. As long as you take care of the litter boxes and get your new kitten checked out by your vet, screened for infectious diseases, dewormed and vaccinated, you should have no problems. If the shelter kittens are still in the house when your new kitten comes, I would keep them separate unless you know that the shelter kittens are free of the above diseases.Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions!
Hi there!
I wanted to check in with you and see how things were going. Have you had any new questions come up?
Hi Cara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gene