Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 10yrs old. she has occasionally been sick

Customer Question
Hello. My cat is 10yrs...

Hello. My cat is 10yrs old. she has occasionally been sick for many yrs with undigested biscuits. she has recently lost weight - slowly. went to the vet. She had an anti inflame, antibiotic and \another ? jab from the vet. she was then fine for 2 wks. I put her on meat as well to help improve het weight? She was ok for 1 wk, then puked that up once. she has since (last wk) had a steroid jab to see if IBD and lost 164g. I am concerned as the last few days her gut is making noise which it never did? Also, since the jab, she eats a few gocat and only licks the jelly, gravy or oil off the meat, but doesn't eat the meat? I don't have loads of money and she isn't insured so that is y I was looking on the net. She also is a 'stay in the garden' cat

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Hello
Yes I wish to continue waiting
Cat Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Hi,Sorry that it has taken so long for us to respond. I'm a licensed veterinarian, and would like to help you and Tinkerbell today.Definitely, Tinkerbell's intermittent vomiting is most indicative of IBD, and IBD is most often caused by food allergy. This is treated with switching cats over to hypoallergenic food and using steroids and/or metronidazole. Also, vitamin B 12 injections are usually needed.The main problem is that Tinkerbell didn't respond well to the steroid injection and she is not eating well at all. It does seem that something else is going on for her now, and some diagnostics would be needed to sort this out.I'm hoping that by now she has started eating some better?????Hope to hear back from you soon,Dr. Barbara

She had another antibiotic jab last wk followed by a wk of pills. Eating is a lot better and no vomiting has occurred for a little while. I am getting her weighted tonight

Thanks for responding with very good news. . Smile!
What pills is she taking?
Dr. Barbara

Her weight has gone from 3.82kg on 19/5 to 3.28 yest. She lost 13g this last wk & 23g the week before. She has been given more antibiotic pills as there seems to be some response from them and not the steroid! It is all very strange, as she is completely normal in herself, just won't eat much?

How discouraging! I am glad that the antibiotics seem to help her, but discouraged about her continued weight loss.
Whenever we don't have permanent improvement with "our best guess treatment", then it is time to get some diagnostics.
Here in the US we have a credit card available almost immediately at most veterinary hospitals. It's called Care Credit. You can get approved right away and then make monthly payments toward your bill. Generally, the first 6 months is interest free!
Perhaps your vet there has this also, because I do encourage you to move forward with Tinkerbell's diagnosis.
One other problem I see are the repeated "jabs" (I love that you British use this term!) of steroids. This long acting steroid has a high incidence of causing diabetes. Perhaps Tinkerbell is dealing with this now too. A blood profile as well as a urinalysis will tell us, as well as check all of her organ functions (except for the GI tract).
So, I do encourage you to have her blood and urine tested. I really do hear your saying that you don't have much money, but we have come to the point with her that we need to diagnose her specific problem so we know what to do for her.
Also want to tell you that not eating and weight loss is a sign that something is not right! Cats don't choose to not eat.
I hope that all works out for Tinderbell! Please reply with further concerns and questions you may have.
Dr. Barbara