Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was in yard on friday and saturday and may have eaten…

Customer Question
my cat was in yard...
my cat was in yard on friday and saturday and may have eaten a piece of an iris leave. both cats often munch on a little grass and urge but this is a bit more extreme. One cat has vomited about 10 times. She seems normal otherwise. She is eating and drinking, but something may still be in system. What do we do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Zoey hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
It doesn't take much to stimulate vomiting in a cat but certainly ingestion of an iris leaf might cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting and/or drooling...perhaps even diarrhea or lethargy.
In most cases, the vomiting or drooling will be self-limiting but she may have developed esophagitis which is why she's still nauseous.
You can give her over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4th of a 10mg tablet twice a day.
This drug should be used with caution in cats with kidney or cardiac issues but one or two doses of 2.5 mg isn't likely to cause any harm.
If she continues to feel nauseous, then something else may be going on and the iris leaf isn't likely to still be responsible. In that event, a vet visit may be prudent.
I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon; again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Hello again,
I'm just following up about Zoey; how is she doing? Deb