Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My boyfriends has two lady cats. Both ar fixed and both are…

Customer Question
My boyfriends has two lady...
My boyfriends has two lady cats. Both ar fixed and both are around 10 years old, MIN is just fine but CHANEY has constant "eye goobers" as we called them back in the day, snores about 40% of the time, dours the whole "coughing " thing, and sneezes at least 10 times a day. I try to keep her eyes clear and that usually keeps her happy. Last night I noticed that she was not eating, lathargic, and had two huge dried clumps of nasal discharge on her nose. I cleanded her eyes and nose up and she slept with me(her Daddy is out of town on business) she feels slightly warm but her ears are not overtly hot so i dont think she has MUCH of a fever if any, she IS eating, but not as much as in the past week. MIN, the other furry lady in the house is just fine. Any ideas on what I can do to make her feel better?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/21/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious agents causing the symptoms you mentioned. We can't cure cats of FHV-1 but severely affected patients can be treated with the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir and an ophthalmic antiviral preparation containing cidofovir or one of the newer antivirals. I'm going to post my synopsis for chronic rhinosinusitis in cats as well. This syndrome may also be related to FHV-1. The palliative treatments mentioned should be appropriate for Chaney. Chronic rhinosinusitis is a diagnosis of exclusion when other etiologies have been ruled out (fungal infection by culture, malignancy by biopsy, a pure culture or PCR of common respiratory pathogens). This syndrome is actually a constellation of diagnoses made by biopsy, culture, and PCR (DNA-based) testing. The three broad groups we see are lymphocytic-plasmacytic, eosinophilic, and idiopathic (unknown cause/the most common) rhinosinusitis. This syndrome is one of the most significant causes of sneezing and nasal discharge in the cat. The nasal discharge is generally serous (clear serum-like), but secondary bacterial infections can result in the development of mucopurulent (mucus + pus) discharge and inflammation can be severe enough to cause intermittent hemorrhage. The clinical signs can persist for years.It's postulated that an early severe viral infection may trigger chronic disease. In addition, it's estimated that approximately 80% of cats are latently infected with FHV-1 (herpesvirus), and so another possible scenario for chronic infection is that Chaney is exhibiting the symptoms of persistent herpes infection. If FHV-1 can be confirmed by PCR testing, the antiviral drug famciclovir might be helpful.In general, these cases are somewhat refractory to treatment and palliation of clinical signs rather than cure is the goal of medical management. Broad-spectrum antibiotics are often prescribed to manage secondary infections. Administration of antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine at 1-2mg, orally, every 12 hours may lessen clinical signs of disease in some cats. Moistening therapies such as nebulization and saline nasal drops can help loosen secretions and soothe mucosa, particularly in dryer climates. The anti-inflammatory glucocorticoids such as prednisolone may be helpful as well. Prednisolone may be used at a maximum dose of 1-2mg/kg orally, every 12 hours. If a positive response is noted, the lowest dose and the longest dosing interval that is effective should be determined by adjusting the dose over time. Inhaled glucocorticoids can be used as an alternative to decrease the systemic side effects of oral glucocorticoid use and have the benefit of directly affecting the nasal mucosa. Beclomethasone or fluticasone can be administered by metered dose inhaler (MDI) with an inhalation chamber at 1-2 puffs once to twice daily.This syndrome is the bane of too many cats and their vets but hopefully the above approaches will be at least palliative if not curative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I just got your answer. Unfortunatly it ended up in the wrong folder. I spoke with my sister, who has bred Hymalains for 20+ years, and she gave me the same diagnosis. She suggested L-lycine. I have also been cleaning out her eyes and nose several times a day and gave her about a CC of infant benydryl. She seems to be feeling better. AND her two-legged Daddy will be home Thursday morning so I am sure she will feel much better then. Thank you for your information and follow up.
No worries. Thank you for the good update.