Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

There's stray outside male cat. He's been around months.

Customer Question

There's stray outside male cat. He's been around for 5 months. Tfor 1 week he walks in circles and acts like he can't see. He walks to the right and leans his head that way too. He eats good with our help and purrs when we pet him. We can't afford to take him to a vet. What do we do. I feel bad for him but have no money to help him. Thanks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about this stray.
Circling to the right with a right sided head tilt is most commonly a sign of a brain based issue affecting the right side of the brain. If he is young, then hopefully a tumor is less likely. Still, we can see this if he has had a head trauma, a bleed in his brain, a protozoal infection (Toxoplasma from eating birds/mice would be on the top of our list of concerns with that), or a viral/bacterial infection. And I would note that if any of these are compressing his visual cortex, he could actually be sight impaired or blind from this. As well, as I am sure you can appreciate, all of these are quite serious, will require care (likely with hospitalization), and these neurological signs will be leaving him very vulnerable to potential predators in his compromised state.

With this serious situation affecting this poor lad, I must strongly advise ringing your local animal shelter, cat rescue, or speak to your vet about their rescue connections that you can utilize here. The reason is because this cat is n a serious state and will need intervention, treatment, and to be kept somewhere safe to give him any chance of overcoming this brain based issue.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )