Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 8_pound cat ate a 30_mg temazepam pill. Will it kill he

Customer Question

My 8_pound cat ate a 30_mg temazepam pill. Will it kill her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 2 years ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.There is limited information about this drug in cats, however, based on dosages for cats of similar medications, this would be a severe overdose.***I therefore highly recommend you get you cat to a veterinarian immediately.*** Please note that with toxins, every minute counts, so this is NOT a wait and see sort of situation. While you could try to induce vomiting now, if a vet is within 20 minutes of you that would be more ideal as inducing cats to vomit at home can have serious side effects and I would still recommend a trip to the veterinarian anyway.
That said, this is not necessarily fatal if she is treated. A veterinarian will try to remove as much of the medication from her system as possible and will then monitor her closely and provide supportive care. With such case I would say she has a good chance of making it out just fine in the end.
Since I have not received a response from you I am going to close this question, but please still feel free to respond with additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your question and once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate it so I receive credit for my time. Please let me know how your cat does, I hope all goes well!Best, ***** *****