Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892

I was just looking up a cat eating benadryl. I think our kitty

Customer Question

I was just looking up a cat eating benadryl. I think our kitty just ate 1/2 a benadryl - 12.5 mg. She only weighs about 5-6 pounds
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 years ago.
Hello there,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Benadryl is used in cats. It can be used for allergies but usually does not work too well. It is not toxic to them. The main side effect of it is sedation. The amount your cat ingested would not be considered a major overdose. The allergy dose is 1/2 - 1 mg per pound body weight. If you do see any sedative effect, it should wear off within 6-8 hours. In rare cases it causes excitement rather than sedation but that effect would wear off in the same time frame.