How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scott Your Own Question
Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15168
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet experience in medicine and surgery.
19741892
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just looking up a cat eating benadryl. I think our kitty

Customer Question

I was just looking up a cat eating benadryl. I think our kitty just ate 1/2 a benadryl - 12.5 mg. She only weighs about 5-6 pounds
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 years ago.
Hello there,
Sorry to hear about your situation. Benadryl is used in cats. It can be used for allergies but usually does not work too well. It is not toxic to them. The main side effect of it is sedation. The amount your cat ingested would not be considered a major overdose. The allergy dose is 1/2 - 1 mg per pound body weight. If you do see any sedative effect, it should wear off within 6-8 hours. In rare cases it causes excitement rather than sedation but that effect would wear off in the same time frame.