Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I recently adopted a kitten and then a week later adopted…

Customer Question
Hi, I recently adopted a kitten...
I recently adopted a kitten and then a week later adopted a 3 year old retired queen Ragdoll. Before we got the ragdoll, my kitten kept kneading and sucking on my soft blanket. It's been about 3 weeks that they've been living together and just these past couple days my kitten started suckling on my ragdoll's nipples. My ragdoll doesn't seem to mind much but I'm just worried because my kitten does this all day long. My ragdoll was recently spayed before I got her. I got my kitten when she was 10 weeks old but I think she might have been separated from her mother earlier than that but I'm not sure. I'm worried that she won't grow out of it. I know it's silly but I'm worried that they will be too attached that they won't want to play with me anymore. Since she's started suckling on my ragdoll my kitten doesn't seem to be interested in playing with me anymore. What should I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/18/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitten still suckling. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Some kitten, whether weaned early or not, will continue to try to nurse on blankets and sweaters. Since your kitten now has an actual "mother" letting her nurse, she may continue to do this. I once saw a year old cat still nursing his mother! The Ragdoll, even though she is spayed, may even start to make milk.
I would try to gently discourage this. When you find them doing this, I would try to redirect them to food, treats, or by playing with a feather, fishing rod type toy, laser pointer, etc.
You could put a sweater on the Ragdoll,to cover her nipples. The poor thing probably won't like it, but I would try to break this habit.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.