Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is sleeping not gaining weight and white gums. Still

Customer Question

My cat is sleeping not gaining weight and white gums. Still eating etc ok. I have no money for his vet as I lost my job and already owe her over $200 now in collections . He is just over a year old, Himalayan purebred. I need to know what I can do to help him
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. There is not a lot you can do at home with a cat that has pale gums. That usually means that they are anemic. This can be due to leukemia, FIP (feline infectious peritonitis), a parasite (Haemobart), an auto immune disease or even flea anemia.
The treatment is typically with a blood transfusion and then meds to treat the specific disease. Unfortunately, there's just not anything to give at home for this. I would consider taking him to a humane society or SPCA. They may be able to use some donated or expired meds. They may also be able to get some blood from a cat there to use as a blood donation. If he's that bad, they may talk with you about euthanasia. Sometimes that is the most humane option.
I'm sorry you're in this situation, let me know if you have any other questions.