Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

There, I took my 14 year old Persian to the groomer today

Customer Question
Hi there, I took my...
Hi there, I took my 14 year old Persian to the groomer today but his matts are so bad the groomer suggested I get him sedated at the vet. I then bumped into a lady whose rag doll cat was taken to be sedated using a mask only and said her cat did well with that because he came around quicker than if he had been anaesthetised. However I've just called my vet who said it was cruel as the animal often struggles when having mask over its face to be sedated. He said particularly my cat as he has a bad back (disk problem for which He takes daily painkillers) He also said anaesthetic was less of a risk than sedation which I was very surprised to hear (I thought it was more risky). Please can you tell me your opinion, what would be better for my older cat, a mask sedation and dematt or anaesthetic? The former is a lot cheaper I know that much!
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/17/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Hello. My name is***** and I would like to help with your question today. The wording between the vt and the individual with the rag doll cat are a bit confusing. The term anesthesia is a general term. Even sedation can be considered anesthesia, it just depends on the depth of sedation used. The general term anesthesia typically refers to "general anesthesia" where intubation is used. This is NOT commonly done for sedated grooms in my opinion. Using gas and a mask is using the same form of anesthesia as general but instead of administering the gas through the tube, the gas is delivered to the mouth through the mask. I agree that this can be frightening to some pets and can cause cats to have a moment of panic. In a pet with a bad back, I would not be comfortable doing this route. The route I use is with an injectable medication called DKT. It is three sedation medications in one and causes sedation in either a mild way or a full (non mobile pet) way -- just depends on how high of the dose is used. The benefit of this is that it does not have the excitement phase like the gas anesthesia dose and it is reversible -- meaning as soon as the groom is done, a second injection is given (called antisedan) and this wakes the pet back up within a few minutes.
If you have further questions about that information, please let me know.
Ok thanks. I'm unsure what the 'excitement phase' is? Also what does DKT stand for? Is it 'safer' than general anaesthetic?
So the excitement phase is what I described earlier -- the few moments of being frightened.
The lady whose rag doll cat was sedated told me they used a drug called Cyberflow (or similar) which meant the cat 'came round' quicker than under general anaesthetic.
It can cause them to have rapid body motions before settling down. DKT stands for dexdomitor, ketamine and butorphanol, the three medications that are in the sedation.
Ok thanks. Can I request this form of sedation do you know or does it depend on the practice? And in your opinion please tell me the pros and cons of DKT versus general anaesthesia. TIA
I do not know what Cyberflow is. DKT is not considered general anesthesia and would also be one that they come around quickly from. All sedation and anesthestic medications have risks associated with them - primarily due to the changes in blood pressure that occur. However, DKT can be tailored to the sedation level needed for the grooming, can be quickly reserved if needed and does not require intubation like general anesthesia.
It is doctor/practice preference if that is the protocol they typically use. However, I have not met a vet that has not used it in some form for cats. It is what is recommended and instructed in newer medicine for feline sedation.
Brilliant thanks. I will ask tomorrow. What's intubation (sorry terminology!)
My vet said sedation is riskier than general anaesthetic!
Intubation is what is needed for general anesthesia -- when the tracheal tube is placed in the trachea. This is done for all bigger procedures -- dental cleanings, spays, neuters, other major surgeries
It really depends on what method of sedation your vet was speaking about. I would directly ask what their concern is with sedation that is not a risk during general anesthesia, to help clarify
I personally do not know a risk with DKT sedation that is more of a concern than the risks with general anesthesia, especially for a short procedure. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
he said he injects first then (can't remember whether he said masks or tubes) but now I'm armed with more info I can ask the right questions! Thanks so much. Anything else worthwhile asking?
Ask who is doing the groom. If the groomer is, ask if your cat will be monitored during.
That way if a complication occurs, it is addressed promptly!
Thanks but vet overseeing and vet nurse grooming
Usually the injection first is a premedication -- you can ask what is given. Butorphanol and ace is common but ace cannot be used with DKT ever so that is important (but your vet should know that). The premedication may also be DKT, just in a smaller dose and then gas is used to maintain proper level of sedation - this is a great combo option.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Poof. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian