Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat has lost some hair on his left, left leg area. Am worried

Customer Question

my cat has lost some hair on his left, left leg area. Am worried it could be mange, nerves or too much licking?? I
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.
Is this an indoor cat, or does he go outside? Is it just the one leg that he is licking? Any trouble jumping or running? How long has this been going on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its on the thigh area, he's an indoor cat. no trouble running or jumping. I've noticed this for 1-2 weeks and put coconut oil with
manalucka oil.....
Okay. Sometimes this happens is response to pain, such as a pulled muscle or arthritis. Other times it is in response to stress, or anxiety. It is less likely that this is an infectious thing like mange unless he has recently been exposed to another animal that does go outside. I would try using a Feliway diffuser (amazon.com or your local pet store) to relieve stress, and I would try to limit his activity as much as possible in case it is an injury. After two weeks, if there is no change, I would see a vet to find out what is going on with the leg. I would not put anything on the skin or fur because that will just encourage more licking (cats don't like stuff on their skin or fur).
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.