Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 14 year old Cat Spookie has been on Carprofen treatment

Customer Question

My 14 year old Cat Spookie has been on Carprofen treatment for the past months for arthritis in his back legs - the treatment seems to work but I am worried after reading a lot of negative comments about giving it to cats on the internet. A year ago we found a mass on Spookies neck = and decided with the Vet to leave it be - it didn't grow and was up and down over the past year not causing Spookie any issues - not sure if it is a coincidence but after taking the Carprofen it has spread and gotten quite big and moved to the front of his chest, it doesn't seem to bother him - but some information on the internet says that Carprofen can cause tumors to grow... I trust my Vet and have discussed this with her and she feels carprofen is okay but I am so afraid to do something that will hurt Spookie and am looking for a second opinion before his next shotl
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Laurie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian and will answer your questions today. I’m sorry to hear about the spreading masses on Spookie. Are you sure that the medication that you are giving him is named Carprofen? Carprofen is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory agent that is not recommended for use in cats but is approved for use in dogs. Can you please check to see if the medication is truly Carporfen and not a medication called Meloxicam or Metacam? In general my main concern with Carprofen use in cats is that it can cause kidney failure. I don’t think it is related to the masses that are spreading but I still would not advise using this medication in any cat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it is cartrophen that they are giving him and many other cats - one article I read on the internet said that because it increases blood flow it can cause the masses to grow that is where I got really concerned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to stop the shots - as there is just to much information saying not to give it to cats - my Vet is wonderful and when I talked to her about it she assured me it was okay but I just can't settle with it.Can you give an opinion on the masses - 1. it started over a year ago so I am assuming it is benign - it started growing 3 months ago - (a lot) but Spookie seems happy and healthy - so I am wondering it it is something that he can live with for a long time - of course the Vet doesn't know without surgery that isn't an option for Spookie - so we are just on a wait and see - but worried all the time. Have you seen cats with masses that are benign live a long time?
I am not familiar with that side effect but in the United States we do not really use Carprofen in cats because of other potential side effects. I just realized that you are writing from Canada. I do not know what Carprofen is labeled for in Canada so I will unlock my question so another veterinarian expert who may be more familiar with the labeling of this product in Canada can help you with this question. I want to make sure you get the most accurate information. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Here is a link to the drug information for Canada:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/rimadyl-injectable-solution-can.html
As you can see, under the heading of Contraindications, it says, "Do not use in cats."
I would be concerned about the masses, and I would have your vet stick a needle in it and send it in to the lab to see what it is. If it is growing and spreading, there is a good chance this is not benign. I would also consider stopping the carprofen, because it is really not safe in cats, and is not approved for use in cats in Canada, either. I might consider getting a second opinion from another vet up there.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.