Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Our cat just gave birth yesterday morning - kittens are healthy

Customer Question

Our cat just gave birth yesterday morning - kittens are healthy and eating fine - momma cat has vomited two times - a lot of her food but no other problems - should we be worried?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is she drinking, keeping water down?
Did the food in her vomit look digested? Did she vomit just after eating?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - she is drinking water and has a good appetite - she vomited about 30 minutes after eating - was a large amount as she is "wolfing" down her food really quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience (as you can see I did have a wee bit to type),
I am glad to hear that she is keeping water down and is otherwise well. Now based on your description of the vomit and time frame, this does sound like a situation where Ginger Rose just overfilled her stomach, such that it triggered her to vomit. That said, we always have to be wary of opportunistic infections or worms bothering mum at this stage in her motherhood (since her immune system will be weaker then normal as she has poured her body's resources into her kittens and is still doing so now with her colostrum/milk).
With all of this in mind, I would advise offering her meals in small volumes with at least 30 minute breaks between them for the next few days. If she just over did things, that should settle this down and we can gently increase meal size to a volume she can safely tolerate. While doing so, if you have not already, you can consider worming her to rule those "trouble makers" out for us. Since she is lactating, we'd tend to use Panacur which is safe for her and the kittens (and can even used with the kittens once they are 2 weeks old).
Otherwise, if she didn't settle, then we'd have to consider that there is more afoot. Hopefully, that won't be the case but if it were, then we'd want a check with her vet at that stage to nip this in the bud for her (since there are very few nausea medications that are safe to use while she is nursing, and we'd want to avoid any major nutrition loss for her because of GI disease since that can dry up her milk for the kittens).
Overall, based on Ginger Rose's history, this does sound like she ate too quickly. Therefore, try her with small frequent meals, monitoring her water intake, and considering worming. As long as she settles, we would be happy. But if we see any more suspicious vomiting, then a GI infection would be a concern and we'd want to get that addressed as quickly as possible for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dory,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.