Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has gotten outside. He came back with at least one flea.

Customer Question
We immediately put treatment on...
My cat has gotten outside. He came back with at least one flea. We immediately put treatment on him and tried to get him out of the house for at least a few hours, but it took about 15 minutes. Are we likely to have a flea infestation? I have two other cats, but only one goes outside and is treated. The other cat and my fiance and I are flea treatment free, but have not suffered any bites at this time.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/17/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If he wasn't covered in fleas and you applied a treat quickly, then the risk of infestation is very low. Any fleas that were still on him post-application will likely die. So, as long as you have otherwise nipped this in the bud, we'd expect no issue here and just want to keep his treatment up to date if he is going to be going outside again at any stage.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.