Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have an old boy 15 our baby, he is peeing really bright dark

Customer Question
yellow but has not pooped...
I have an old boy 15 our baby, he is peeing really bright dark yellow but has not pooped for 7 days you can see his tummy swelling, not in a financial position for 500.00 worth of blood tests.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/17/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I have to say that I am quite concerned about Bronco. This is much to long a period of time for him to not have passed stool. And the longer this continues, the more chance he will become so constipated that he will need his vet to sedate him for an enema and manual removal of all that feces. Otherwise, I would note that his dark urine could be a sign of another issue (ie bladder infection) but could be related to dehydration. And that could be the cause or also a potential side effect of constipation.
With all of this in mind, we do need to act fast and get that feces moving. Now as I noted, after 7 days, this is a precarious situation but I will note some steps you can take now to see if you get some of this feces out of him. First, you can try offering some cow milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat, so his friend cannot have any). If he is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.
Further to this, you can also treat them with hairball medication (ie. Catalax). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, and likely something we will need here for Bronco, you can administer a small volume of a GI lubricant like Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose, or mineral oil orally. Ideally offer this in food. If you do need to give it via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).
As well and especially if he has frequent issues with this, you can consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil to his daily meals. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). As well, you also want to encourage him to drink as constipation and the dark urine can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink. If he struggles despite those and is not vomiting, you can also syringe fluids (48ml per kilogram of his body weight per day) to keep his hydration up.
While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or he begins to vomit or worsen at all, then he should be evaluated by a vet. You don't have to have any blood tests if you don't wish, it is just getting that GI clear that is the most important step here. Because as I noted before, if he doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then he may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian