Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 2 cats have bugs that obviously bite and I know they have bitten me

Customer Question

my 2 cats have bugs that obviously bite and I know they have bitten me. They come off very easily when I rub their fur. They are very small and not fleas. I have a room that has a rug that was here when we bought the house and very old in a room we rarely use, could you tell me what they could be.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your cats are having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
If your cats have some type of bug that is also biting you then the most likely causes would be
1. Fleas. I would remove the flea collar. These are ineffective against fleas, can cause skin irritation and allow you cats to breath in pesticides 24/7
2. Cheyletiella mites also known as walking dandruff. The link below will cover this in more detail
http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_cheyletiellosis
3. Sarcoptic Mange mites which can cause scabies in humans.
Now things like bed bugs can and will bite both humans and animals but animals are not a typical host for this type of bug.
The only way to properly identify what type of bug this is would be to have your vet take a look at one of the cats.
Your vet will carry a topical medication called Revolution which will kill off all of the types of parasites listed above.
Without knowing exactly what we are treating there is no way to know if they are coming from the rug or some other area and exactly what is needed to treat the environment to stop the problem.
I hope this helps give you some ideas on what may be going on.
Please reply back if you have additional questions. If you do not need further assistance please provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you.
Candy