Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat needs darbapoetin. His hematocrit is now less than…

Customer Question
Hi my cat needs darbapoetin...
Hi my cat needs darbapoetin. His hematocrit is now less than 20. He has cancer and blood in his stool. But I found out the medicine is 300 dollars a month. Is there anything else I can do to increase his hematocrit?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/16/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. No, there aren't drugs in another class of drugs that can stimulate red blood cell production nor are there over the counter products of value. I encourage you to price alpha epoetin (erythropoietin) at Costco, however. It will work as well as darbepoetin at much less cost to you. You don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian