How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18796
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents live on a farm and last Thursday my dad was

Customer Question

My parents live on a farm and last Thursday my dad was giving away some very old equipment and inadvertently spilled antifreeze in the gravel driveway. The antifreeze was probably over 10 years old, but it spilled enough to make a spot twice the size of
a basketball...and then when the guy drove off he spilled a thin strip all the way down the long gravel driveway. We immediately put the cat in her carrier and I shoveled the gravel up as best I could. Then I put sand over it. After reading on the internet
I returned and scooped the sand up and replaced with kitty litter. After a day I scooped that up and put some soap on the spot and flushed with water. I then poured ammonia on it for the smell. There was no way to rinse the long strip in the driveway so I
waited for it rain, which it did yesterday....pretty hard. Now I am debating if that is good enough to let the cat back out. I had a cat that died after getting into the neighbors antifreeze and DO NOT want to experience that again. Advice please! Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Hi,
Welcome back to Just Answer. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry that you had the previous experience of losing a cat due to antifreeze. It is definitely a very serious toxin in some environments with extremely fatal results when enough is consumed. Cats are more sensitive to the nephrotoxic (kidney) effects of it. Most of the time when a toxicity / poisoning occurs, it is when the direct product is consumed from a spill or from a container that has it there. What you've done with that spill in the environment there it would seem adequate to have eliminated a chance of a toxicity there. Getting all pets secured from where the spill was at and then cleaning it up as best is possible was very good. Being exposed to the environment, sun and drying effects also does some breakdown on the product. The fact that it was then further diluted by a good rain would make me feel very comfortable about this situation. I would feel comfortable letting my cat out around this area after all this has happened. It is always a recommendation to keep an eye on any containers that have it and keeping them locked up / secured and well sealed.