Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Trying to discover what my cat ingested to cause her to have…

Customer Question
trying to discover what my...

trying to discover what my cat ingested to cause her to have stroke like symptoms think sh ingested young oak leaves my email is

***@******.***
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/15/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Oak leaves are toxic to horses but oak poisoning isn't recognized in cats. Abdominal pain and diarrhea would be the expected initial symptoms of oak poisoning. Idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disease is the most common cause of peripheral signs - ataxia ("drunken sailor"), head tilt, nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) - accounting for over 40% of cases such as Bella. Clinical signs are often severe, with rolling and rapid nystagmus quite evident. The average age of cats is 4 years although it may be seen in any age. There's a higher incidence of this disorder in summer and fall, suggesting an environmental or infectious cause. Prevalence is higher in certain regions of the USA, especially the Northeast.
Although usually acute and nonprogressive in nature, there have been some reports of clinical signs progressing for up to 3 weeks. Signs usually resolve rapidly without definitive treatment, usually in the first week, although some patients may have a persistent head tilt. Diagnosis is through excluding other known causes of vestibular disease; there is no definitive testing. Some cats may require fluids and antiemetic treatment if vomiting doesn't resolve the first day.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that I can't correspond with you outside of this venue.