Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I was fostering a mother with 2 kittens from about 1 week old…

Customer Question
I was fostering a mother...
I was fostering a mother with 2 kittens from about 1 week old kittens till 6 weeks of age. I received a call at that time to bring them back. I decided to keep them but wanted my vet. to do all medical treatment. That did not happen because they had a time shots and spading was to be done and it was far from what my vet. had told me. I have been very upset for the cat and her kittens. Am I wrong to want my own vet.?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/15/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
You are not wrong to want these done by your own vet. Still, if these cats belong to a rescue organization, then they are unlikely to pay for you to have these procedures done anywhere but their vets. The reason is because often rescue groups have a contract with a local vet that will give them a discount for any care their cats needs. So, that is likely why they are so keen for their vet to carry these treatments out.
In this case, it will depend on what you want to do with these wee ones. If you wanted to pay for their neutering and vaccinations (or at least the difference in cost between the vets), then the rescue likely would let you do so at your vet. If you wanted to adopt them all, then the rescue would have to let you see your own vet. But if they are to remain in the "custody" of the rescue and you didn't want to pay for the vaccines or neutering, then you would either see if your vet would match the rescue's discount at their vet, pay the difference between the costs, or let them have these procedures done at the vet of their choice for what is likely a reduced cost.
Please take care,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.