Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 3 yoa feral cat in the doghouse by my deck, had shots when…

Customer Question
My 3 yoa feral cat...
My 3 yoa feral cat in the doghouse by my deck, had shots when she was spayed, and she lives with her "husband". I feed her maybe too much, but I don't want her hunting because I'm afraid my neighbor will poison or trap her. The last few days her eyes are wide open without a lid look. And her pupils today were small and constricted. Hindsight I remember maybe a week ago she was back from hunting in the a.m. and was laying on the deck breathing more rapidly than normal and I hoped she was just hot. And let me get a little closer to her without running. But now I am wondering what happened. don't think her breathing is fast now. She seems normal otherwise but a little more skittish of me than she was. (she doesn't ever let me pet her). I am worried because she is outside and the woods raccoons come close and eat too, sometimes side by side unless they have babies, like the last few weeks. I have been putting lots of food out because the coons get so much of it esp. during baby season. The cats don't come near their house and deck when the babies are hiding under it sometimes they miss it, or she hunts. I love her and want to help her and of course didn't figure it out immediately. Please help advise. I don't know if she will enter a trap.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
6/14/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for helping these homeless cats. I am sorry you are worried bout Baby Lou. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Fish mox should not cause pupil constriction or affect her eyes in any way, or cause diabetes. It probably won't help your male cat gain weight either. It is an antibiotic, and will treat specific bacterial infections, but not internal diseases that can cause weight loss.
Feeding her a lot of food will not stop her hunting. Hunting is an instinct and many cats will hunt whether hungry or well fed.
How did you get her spayed, did you trap her then?
It sounds like she could have eaten something toxic to cause the problem with her eyes, but I could not tell for sure without being able to examine her. It also could be caused by parasites, viral infections (antibiotics like Fish Mox do not treat viral infections), or a head injury.
Is she eating, and drinking?
The best thing would be to try to trap her and have her examined by a veterinarian if she continues like this. SInce she is near raccoons, it is very important to have her rabies vaccination current, for her own sake as well as yours. I personally know of 3 cases of people being exposed to rabies because they were feeding stray, feral, or homeless cats.
If you only put the food in the trap and nowhere else, you may trap her, but of course you may also trap a raccoon or her husband. You just have to keep trying. As long as there is food outside the trap, she probably won't go in.
You could try replacing her doghouse with a large cat carrier. When she goes into it, you can just close the door and then you would have her. You might have the husband, too, but then you could get him vaccinated as well. Of course the vet may have to sedate them to check them and treat them.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Hi Lyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian